Friday, January 29, 2010

Yummy to My Tummy: Sugar Cookies & Icing

Since I've made cookies for a lot of showers & events, I often get asked for the yummy recipe. I take absolutely no credit for how delicious they are since all of my recipes are obtained from other people, but I'm happy to share! This week, I decided to make some snowflake cookies in honor of the reappearance of winter weather here in DFW. These will probably be the only snowflakes we see at our house. Happy baking!
Favorite Sugar Cookies
(This recipe was given to me by my friend Renae at my recipe shower when we got married & is my favorite that I've ever tasted. The only thing I've modified is the amount of flour since 3 cups just left mine too crumbly.)

1 C butter, softened
1/2 C sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter & sugar; add egg & vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate one hour, then roll out & cut into shapes. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Royal Icing
(There are many variations of this icing out there, but I like this one that I found with a random Google search one time. To achieve the smooth surface shown for the snowflakes, thin the icing with small amounts of milk, then dip the cookies face down into the icing.)

3 egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar
assorted food coloring

Beat egg whites & cream of tartar with an electric mixer at medium speed until foamy; gradually add sugar, mixing well. Beat 5-7 minutes. Tint with desired colors.

Anna's Icing
(This cake icing is my pick when I cover the cookies with a star tip design. It's also great for piping or spreading. My sweet friend Anna is the cookie queen & was generous enough to share this recipe & then teach me how to use it. Be sure to keep it cold so your stars will hold their form.)

2 lb bag powdered sugar
3/4 C shortening
2/3 C whole milk
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp imitation butter flavoring
dash of salt
assorted food coloring

Mix all ingredients several minutes with an electric mixer. Tint with desired colors.

3 comments:

AmyB said...

These are the tastiest, prettiest cookies ever. I know it would be a disaster if I tried to make them but I want to anyway!

Hollie said...

Thanks for sharing...can't wait to try them!

The Strahan Family said...

How many cookies does this recipe make? And how many cookies does the icing recipe cover? I am going to try and make some this weekend!