Monday, January 10, 2011

Yummy to My Tummy: Whole Wheat Bread

I've been wanting to try my hand at making wheat bread for a while just because we go through so much of it around here. I'd made rolls & biscuits before, but this was my first try at loaf bread. It's definitely more work than picking up a loaf at Target, but it was fun & now that I've done it once, I think it would go faster the next time. The kids & I had a taste test with grilled cheese sandwiches on Friday, & we all agreed that it was delicious! I sliced one loaf to use right away & froze the other one until we need more. Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Bread
from Cotton Country Cooking, 25th Anniversary Edition
Mrs. A. Julian Harris

1/4 C sugar
1 C warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 pkg dry yeast
2 2/3 C heated milk
1/2 C honey or molasses
1 T salt
2 T margarine, softened
7 C whole wheat flour

Stir sugar into warm water in small bowl & sprinkle yeast over it. Stir until dissolved.

In large mixing bowl, stir together milk, honey or molasses, salt & margarine. When lukewarm, add yeast mixture. Sift in whole wheat flour & stir until well mixed & a stiff dough is formed. It may be necessary to add additional whole wheat flour if dough seems sticky.

Turn out on floured surface & knead well, until smooth & elastic. Place dough in clean bowl, cover with warm damp cloth & let rise for one hour or longer until almost doubled in bulk.

Turn out on floured surface & knead again. Shape into two loaves & place into greased 9x5x3 loaf pans. Cover with warm damp cloth & let rise for an hour or longer until smooth & above edge of pan.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place bread in oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees & bake for one hour & 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: