Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Several weeks ago, Justin & I enjoyed our first weekend away from the babies! J travels a lot for work, so he is used to being away from us for several days at a time, but this was the first time for me to be gone overnight without them. My parents came to stay with Jake & Mal, & we spent three days in the beautiful Texas hill country. We didn't actually do a very good job of taking pictures of our trip, but here are a few.

The view from a rest stop on our way down south. As we talked on our drive down, we realized that this was our first true road trip to take together. All of our other vacations have either included air travel, or we just drove straight to a destination. We planned this trip as more of a scenic drive & took a long route to get to San Antonio. Our first stop was in Blanco, Texas for some great barbecue at Riley's. We browsed a street fair in Blanco & then headed toward Luckenbach & Fredericksburg.
Being the country music fan that I am, I have always wanted to go to Luckenbach. It was very different than I'd expected, but I'm still glad we went. The town literally only has a population of 3, but there are hundreds of tourists there every day.

The only "restaurant" in town, where you just walked up to this window to order.
Luckenbach is a popular stop for bikers, as we quickly saw when we got there. It's really amazing that so many people find this town, considering how easy it would be to miss. You can't even see it from the main highway.
Visitors leave their mark on the porch of the post office.
There were definitely some interesting folks there. See the lady in the skimpy shorts & high boots, pictured here. And yes, those are port-a-potties in the background. I am SO not a fan of public restrooms anyway, so I was less than thrilled with these accommodations, but sometimes a girl's got to go!

I couldn't resist getting these Luckenbach t-shirts for the kids. Aren't they cute? On a side note, you might notice that Mal is actually wearing a bow without the headband in this picture. She still doesn't have much hair, but we're getting there!
We spent a couple of hours walking around downtown Fredericksburg, checking out neat little shops. I would like to go back there for a weekend & see more of the town. This particular stop was very important. Anyone who knows J & I very well knows we need our ice cream, and it was HOT that day.

After leaving Fredericksburg, we wound south toward San Antonio. On the way, we passed through Medina. I had never realized that Medina Children's Home, which our church supports, was named after a town. It was neat to see the place we hear so much about.
Our Saturday was spent in San Antonio relaxing by the pool, touring the riverwalk & seeing the Alamo. It had some funky shadows on it due to the time of day we were there, but oh well. My only other visit to the Alamo was when I was a little girl, & I had remembered it as being so much bigger. :)

All in all, it was a wonderful trip to spend some time as just the two of us & see some parts of Texas we hadn't visited before. We ate lots of great food & even got to sleep in!

While we were gone, the twins had lots of fun with Nana & Papa. We checked in with them throughout the weekend, but I was very proud of them that the only time they actually called us was when they had a question about the TV, not the kids.




Mom & Daddy, thank you so much for allowing us a weekend away. It is such a blessing to have you so close to us, & we know the babies enjoyed your stay!

2 comments:

Hattie said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Andrea said...

I love the hill country! I thought the same thing the first time I went to Luckenbach! The t-shirts are so cute!