Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ew!

Well, we had a good run, I suppose. We made it almost eleven months without baby puke. Sadly, that streak ended Tuesday night.

Between 10:00 & 11:00 Tuesday night, Jake threw up in his crib three different times. Sheets & mattress covers were changed, an extra bath was given & a tired little boy finally zonked out on Mommy's chest about 12:30. He never actually acted like he felt bad, just annoyed to have yuck all over him. There was no fever or any other symptoms, so I stayed cautiously optimistic on Wednesday that it was just the pork chops from the night before, which he'd never had previously, that had upset his tummy.
So, yesterday afternoon I loaded up both kids to go to my dermatologist appointment at Presby. When I opened the car door to get them out, guess what I found? A puke-soaked Jake pouting at me from his car seat. After calling my doctor to explain why we would not be showing up, I stripped him down & headed across the street to the pediatrician's office. We looked like quite the hillbillies walking in with one kid fully dressed with a bow on her head & the other kid naked, save his diaper. Both kids giggled & grinned as we waited to see the doctor, who said Jake didn't really seem to have anything contagious since he had no fever, etc. Jake even giggled when the nurse took his temperature rectally. Nice, buddy. Like they didn't have enough to snicker about yet, what with the naked, puke-scented kid.
Small group was held downstairs last night while the kids & I stayed upstairs since it was a little last minute to cancel. (Don't worry, there were no other kids here.) I cancelled my moms' breakfast that I was supposed to host this morning so we didn't spread any possible germs to the other sweet little babies who were planning to come. So far, no one has gotten sick again. I would definitely be okay if I never have to scrub said nastiness from my car, car seat, clothing & toys again, but I have a feeling this won't be the last time for that. Far from it, I'm sure. To ice the cake on this story a little further, J was here for Tuesday night but is now in New Hampshire. And did I mention it was pouring rain & hailing on my car on our way home from the doctor? No damage, but seriously? Ah, the joys of motherhood!

(The pictures in this post were not taken when he was sick, but I thought they were appropriate!)

5 comments:

Three Scobeys said...

Yuck...but it sounds like you handled it like a trooper! Miss you!!

Amy said...

sorry about that. hopefully mallory won't get sick. both of mine are sick. there must be a stomach bug going around. ellie threw up four times yesterday but never ran fever and hasn't thrown up yet today. cale hasn't thrown up but started running a fever yesterday and still has one today. wierd, but cale doesn't throw up (maybe once in his life). ellie, however, throws up anytime she gets the chance. i think its harder on cale b/c he doesn't get it out.

AmyB said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I SERIOUSLY dread the days of throw up and and stomach bugs! I had to giggle just a little though...

Hattie said...

Poor Jake and poor you!

Andrea said...

Poor Jake and poor you! That is no fun. I hope he is better and Mallory hasn't caught it.