Friday, November 7, 2008

How To: Make a "Thing" Wig

I've had lots of questions about the twins' costumes, so I thought I would show you how I did it, just in case you're interested. I can't take credit for the idea. Some friends of mine actually dressed their girls, who are cousins but were born on the same day, as Thing 1 & Thing 2 last year. Rachel & Maurine, thanks for the inspiration. Once I googled it trying to figure out what to use for their costumes, I also realized that it's listed on every twin site as a suggestion for Halloween. So, I don't deserve the credit for coming up with it, but I did make them.

The red sleepers were from Target.com. I was amazed at how hard it was to find a solid red sleeper. Everywhere I looked, the sleepers had some type of character on them, but I just wanted plain, so I had to search quite a bit. My hat came from Party City, & I made their Thing signs for the fronts of their costumes & my cat belly & bow tie out of felt. Now for the wigs. I used some newborn hats that I didn't really care for since they were about to be covered in hot glue.

The hair was made of Fun Fur, which is a yarn I found at JoAnn's. I doubled over the yarn in about 3-inch sections to make a bundle.

Then I tied each bundle with thread.

It took 15-20 bundles for each hat.

Then I just put a dot of hot glue on the bundle...and stuck it to the hat.The finished product! Kathy, thanks for watching the twins while I worked & for all your brainstorming help!

This last picture has nothing to do with Thing wigs, but I just haven't posted it yet. I took the twins to the Arboretum a few weeks ago to have their picture made at the pumpkin patch. Jake was in such a good mood, but Mallory was having a rough morning. Her disgusting blowout diaper that she was still sitting in when this was taken might have had something to do with it. Oh well, she's still cute! Thanks, Michelle, for inviting us to come along!

4 comments:

Molly Woodall said...

Precious little "things"!
I love the Harvest Blessing picture! Poor little Mallory.

Alexis said...

i Alli! I'm the "stalker" who sat by you at dinner last night (at Luna de noche). After you left I felt bad by saying that I stalk your blog. You were probably thinking "who is this crazy person". But I wanted you to know that you have a beautiful family! Please check out my blog so you can do some payback stalking! www.thekennedyjourney.blogspot.com

P.S. I found your blog through Meredith Moore's blog.

Alexis said...

oops, that was supposed to read "Hi Alli", not "i alli"

alexis

Carrie mom2six said...

Love It. I'm planning to do this with all six of my little ones. thank you for sharing.
Carrie