Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Weathering the Storm

Like many others in DFW, we had an eventful evening last Tuesday as we kept an eye on the tornado warnings around town. Justin was actually in St. Louis that day, but our prayers for him to make it onto an earlier flight & arrive home safely were answered. I'm so thankful for that, because his original flight ultimately ended up getting canceled. He got home about fifteen minutes before a tornado headed to our part of town, so we roused the kids from their slumber & gathered in our little half bathroom downstairs to wait it out.

Thank goodness for the iPad! It kept these sleepy & confused munchkins well entertained until it was safe to go back to bed.
Our classy weather watch station
Daddy multitasking
For us, it was just a crazy & somewhat humorous evening. For so many others, those storms were very serious & life-altering.

As a kid, I distinctly remember being so annoyed when my mom woke us up & herded us into the closet, covering us with mattresses. (Love you, Mom!) I was a heavy sleeper, so if it hadn't been for her, the storms wouldn't have bothered me a bit. Now I'm the one doing the herding, & it's very humbling to feel powerless to keep my little ones safe. We said many prayers of thanksgiving that our family & house escaped any harm that night!

No comments: