Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Where's that bag to put over your head when you need it?

Today I enjoyed a luxurious afternoon at the spa with my wonderful friend, Hattie, compliments of our awesome husbands. I've had my gift certificate since Valentine's Day but just hadn't gotten the chance to use it. Mark gave Hattie the same spa package for her birthday, so we got to go together. We enjoyed being pampered with massages, pedicures & manicures.

My title relates to the very end of my spa experience. Hattie & I were not smart enough to figure out that we should have gotten dressed before our manicures so we wouldn't have to try to dress without messing up our pretty nails. Silly girls! I was trying to rush since we were running a little later than I'd planned & completely demolished the paint job on several of my nails. I was too mortified to go back in there & ask the technician to redo them, but Hattie urged me to do so. I really wanted a bag to put over my head as the technician examined my nails & marveled over how badly I'd messed them up. She was kind & fixed them, & I'm glad I went back, but I just don't handle those kinds of confrontation well. Thank you, Hattie, for helping me along!

I like this picture because the way my robe is folded against my arm sort of makes it look like I have spectacular biceps, which isn't true, but I can use this pic to pretend.
I also had some interesting conversations with the massage therapist & nail technician about my body's apparent state of disrepair. The massage therapist was kind enough to point out to me that I had cracked skin on my knees & elbows & suggested that I use a moisturizer. I'm still not sure if I believe her that my knees were actually cracked, but I have no hard evidence against the statement either. The nail tech actually asked, "Do you have lotion at home?" in reference to my severely neglected heels. Hmm, maybe Mommy needs to focus on general upkeep a bit more. I'll do that in my spare time.

Justin, thank you so much for my spa day! I loved it! I also owe a HUGE thank you to Haylee, along with Eleanor & Rachel, who watched my kids for the afternoon. They were brave enough to take them swimming, & the kids had a great time. I'm not sure what kind of magic happy pills you gave them, but they were perfect for me this evening, despite not getting an afternoon nap. A great day all around!

2 comments:

AmyB said...

I am cracking up. Personal hygiene kind of goes by the way side, doesn't it? Did you tell her that no, you don't keep lotion at home, and she should feel privileged that you shaved your legs for this?? :)

Miranda said...

What a fun day! I have the same issue...pampering myself is usually last on my "To Do" list! I'm just happy to get a shower. ;-)