Friday, April 24, 2009

Oh, are they twins?

Taking the babies out in public is always an interesting experience. I realize that most people only have one baby at a time, but multiples aren't that uncommon. Still, every time I venture out, I get lots of stares & random comments from everyone I pass. Though I've had just about every question imaginable asked of me, by far the most frequent is, "Oh, are they twins?" I smile politely & say yes, but I would really like to respond, "As opposed to what?"
Another chart topper on our FAQ list is "Who's older?" I'm always surprised by this one because it just wouldn't occur to me to ask this, but the answer is Jake, by one minute.
Sorry for the slightly obscene picture of Mal here, but it was too funny to pass up. Those are the basketballs that go with the goal you can see that are in her shirt. Obviously, she thought it was funny, too.

Probably next on the list would be "Are they identical?" Sometimes I just say no, & sometimes I throw in, "No, one is a boy & one is a girl." At that point, the questioner usually realizes that they've asked a no-brainer & says, "Oh, what I mean is do they look alike?" This is also funny to me since the babies are right there in front of them, not hidden from view. My response? "I don't really think they do, but some people have said they favor one another."
"Which one is the quiet one?"

Well, we don't really have a quiet child. It seems to go back & forth depending on the setting & their moods. If it came down to an all-out screaming match, Mal could win every time, hands down. That girl has got some lungs!
"Are they both boys?"

(Yes, this boy just prefers pink.)
No, one boy & one girl.

"Which one is the girl?"

This one in the dress with the bow on her head.


Other favorite comments of late:
  • You sure have your hands full!
  • Oh, my goodness! There's two of them!
  • Wow, that's a huge stroller!


3 comments:

Lori said...

I laughed all the way through that, people never cease to surprise me :-)

Hattie said...

Life will never be boring for you!

*Kendra* said...

I thought the "is he a boy?" comment was funny when I had Cassidee out by herself. When you have two....one obviously boy, one obviously girl....Um, hello people! :)